SOC 423 Child Abuse and Prevention
Assignment #1 Child Stages
This assignment is due on ____________submitted into Dropbox.
Directions: Part 1
For part 1 of this assignment, you are researching all 5 child stages listed below. You are examining the developmental characteristics of a child during those specific ages and stages of life.
Research and discuss the typical (normal) milestones, behaviors, skills, etc., for all 5 stages.
Explain the knowledge that you learned and how it can be helpful and used when working with a child at these specific ages and stages of development. Summarize your research in your own words for all five stages, you can also use examples and or stories to help demonstrate your knowledge.
5 Child Stages:
- 1 month-1year old
- 2-4 years old
- 4-6 years old
- 6-8 years old
- 8-10 years old
Include these areas of development in your research:
Directions: Part 2
Research and identify the appropriate information and describe the possible adverse effects of maltreatment, neglect, and abuse on a child’s growth and development for the 3 stages listed below.
Examples of areas affected: A child’s emotional, mental, and behavioral growth and development. There are 3 different groupings of children to research.
1. Infants and Toddlers (0-4 years of age)
2. School Aged (5-12 years of age)
3. Adolescents (12-16 years of age)
· Label parts 1 and 2 and all the stages to make it easier for me to read and grade.
· This assignment should be at least 2-3 pages in length, in MLA, APA or ASA format for your research. Work cited page is required.
· Review the Writing Rubric that has been provided in the content area.
Grading Criteria: Highest Standard (See full grading rubric in content area)
Organization: Writing shows high degree of attention to logic and reasoning of points. Unity clearly leads the reader to the conclusion and stirs thought regarding the topic.
Level of Content: Content indicates synthesis of ideas, in- depth analysis and evidences original thought and support for the topic.
Development: Main points well developed with high quality and quantity support. Reveals high degree of critical thinking.
Grammar & Mechanics: Essay is free of distracting spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors; absent of fragments, comma splices, and run-ons.
Style: Shows outstanding style going beyond usual college level; rhetorical devices and tone used effectively; creative use of sentence structure and coordination
Format: Meets all formal and assignment requirements and evidences attention to detail; all margins spacing and indentations are correct; essay is neat and correctly assembled with professional look.
Reading materials to assist you for this assignment: Reading Material Assignment#1 additional reading materials are located in the content area under Stages of Development.
Ages and Stages of Development California Department of Education
The Ages and Stages of Child Development
The 4 Stages of Cognitive Development
CHILD DEVELOPMENT AND EARLY LEARNING
Writing assignment reminders!
· Review the instructions for your assignment. This includes the assignment format, APA, ASA or MLA. You can go to Purdue Owl for assistance. https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/purdue_owl.html
· Reread your paper or have someone else to see if it makes sense.
· Make sure that your sentences flow smoothly and that you are able to connect your thoughts and ideas.
· Proofread your assignment for grammar, punctuation and spelling mistakes.