For this assignment, choose either option 1 or 2. You do not need to do both. You will apply one of these scenarios in the instructions below. Both options will be graded using the same scoring guide.
You are the new HR manager for Java Corp. The company has just lost a sexual harassment lawsuit and damages include back pay, front pay, punitive damages, and attorneys fees. The plaintiff, Ms. Stapel, was a female manager who had a consensual sexual relationship with her male boss, Mr. Rowe. Both moved up in title and responsibility over the past 5 years. After the relationship ended, Mr. Rowe made several offensive comments to co-workers about Ms. Stapel, without her knowledge. Later, a number of other employees, who reported to Mr. Rowe, made offensive sexual comments directly to Ms. Stapel.
The company has a harassment policy but only referred someone who felt harassed to their immediate supervisor and provided no other avenues of complaint. Your first project for Java Corp is to create a formal policy that will protect the employees, the organization, and all stakeholders. You will also prepare a PowerPoint that could be used as a training tool for new employees on the importance of following anti-harassment policies.
Choose an organization to use for this assignment. It can be where you are currently employed or a company with which you are familiar. It must be an organization that is researchable, as you will need to gather and analyze information to complete the assignment. You may use the same organization you selected for previous assignments.
If you choose the organization where you are currently employed, please keep in mind that the analyses you make must be based on facts that can be documented rather than your personal opinion as an employee. Think about a situation in which an employee was sexually harassed at work. Reflect on what the organization did well and what the organization did wrong.
Research the sexual and work harassment policies of the chosen organization to further assess if the situation was handled properly.
Based on your research of sexual harassment and other forms of unlawful workplace harassment, complete the following.
In a Word document, develop an anti-harassment workplace policy that includes the following components:
- Prohibited conduct under this policy, including discrimination, harassment, sexual harassment, and retaliation.
- Complaint procedure.
- Employee acknowledgment of policy.
This part of your assignment should also meet the following requirements:
- Length: 35 pages. Strive to be as detailed as possible in addressing each of the policy’s components above.
- Written communication: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly and professional. Your writing should be:
- Concise and logically organized.
- Free of errors in grammar and mechanics.
- Resources: If you use a source in the text of your policy, you need to reference it. The last page of your policy should be your reference list. Format all citations and references in accordance with current APA guidelines.