Health services continue to affect the gross domestic product, and this dramatic transformation puts great demands on each dollar spent to deliver patient-centered products. Health care marketing must be repeatedly applied and practiced strategically to include environmental dimensions, such as technology, socioeconomics, competition, and regulatory.
That being said, in today’s global economy, investors and potential entrepreneurs must tap into the so-called “unexplored” market. In this aspect, health care establishments must utilize marketing, advertising, as well as sales strategies when pursuing new customers (e.g., suppose a health care investor wanted to build a small hospital in a rural community); this would entail exploration and logistical experimentation to determine who will patronize the facility. In an impoverished neighborhood, the feasibility of having lucrative profits may see diminishing returns, and so the venture may be not worth the effort. Also, suppose that the potential investor wants to sell mosquito deterrents (e.g., bedside netting in malaria-infested regions of Asia or Africa); then it would be wise to investigate the number of beds that are actually in the village, and who would be willing to purchase them. These activities take into account the investor portfolio, as well as the feasibility of marketing and selling the product. Such exploration also examines competitors, cultural differences, and—most important—identification of the customer.
Identify a local health care establishment (e.g., hospital, rehabilitation center, or emergency medical center) and determine its product development practices. Utilize concepts from previous weeks to substantiate information, as needed. You may develop the discussion based on the ideas presented here, but feel free to inject any salient marketing strategy that you believe might support your presentation.
Write a 3-4 page paper in which you:
- Justify the purpose of the selected health care establishments’ products or services and their associated life cycles.
- Suggest one strategy to improve the marketing mix of the selected health care establishment. Support your strategy by highlighting one benefit of one portfolio analysis and providing two examples that display differential advantages.
- Assess the importance of technology in providing patients with clear and accessible information about health care organizations and the products or services that they provide.
- Outline a survey to capture patients’ expectations regarding the delivery and/or accessibility of the products or services identified.
- Use at least three quality academic resources. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment:
- Propose product development strategies for a healthcare organization that impact the marketing mix, the use of technology, and marketing research.