Purpose of the assignment: This short paper is meant to give you experience in analyzing a primary source document, a source written in the time period you are researching, and that gives you a first-hand look at events or people.
What you are writing: Select a primary source written by a scientist either in the Scientific Revolution, the Enlightenment, or the nineteenth century and analyze the information you get from it. Answer the following questions:
- What is the source?
- Who is the author?
- When did they write it?
- What is the purpose of the source?
- What impact did the source have on science and scientific thought at the time it was published?
- What can we learn about the scientist by the work they published?
- The paper must have an introduction, body paragraphs, and a summary conclusion.
- A bibliography must be included.
- All facts, information, and quotes taken from your source must be cited in the body paragraphs. You are free to use MLA, APA, or Chicago/Turabian style citations.